SERVINGS: 1 DRINKAUTHOR: DINI FROM THE FLAVOR BENDER
A dreamy, whimsical and magical Halloween Cocktail made with Blackberry Shimmery liqueur! Are you brave enough to drink The Witch’s Heart?Print
- 1 jigger apple brandy or Tik Tack chilled
- 1 tsp grenadine
- 2 jiggers (or to top up) Homemade Blackberry Shimmery Liqueur (see notes) chilled
- Powdered dry ice optional
- Martini glass to serve
- Add about 1/2 – 1 tsp of powdered dry ice to the bottom of the glass (optional).
- Place the apple brandy and purple shimmery liqueur in a shaker. Add 1 ice cube and shake for a few seconds to chill the drink. Strain the drink into a martini glass. Top up with more purple shimmery liqueur if necessary.
- Pour 1 tsp of grenadine syrup, about an inch from the surface of the drink – the grenadine should sink to the bottom, creating a “bleeding” effect.
- Add about 1/2 tsp of powdered dry ice on top and serve with a stirrer, so that your guests can stir the “potion” to create that shimmery, smoky effect.
NOTE 1 – You can make this cocktail with Purple Shimmery Liqueur and mix it with some White Moscato Wine. Click here for the recipe to make Purple Shimmery Liqueur at home.
To make it easier, you can use Viniq instead, but as noted it will change the flavour profile.
NOTE 2 ABOUT DRY ICE – ONLY ADD COMPLETELY CRUSHED DRY ICE. Dry ice is simply solid CO2 gas and it goes straight from solid to gas without a liquid phase in the middle (this is called sublimation). So the smoke effect you see here is the solid dry ice evaporating. Wait until the smoke effect stops, because then you know the dry ice has completely evaporated, and the drink is now completely safe to drink. Just crush the dry ice (to a powder). I buy pellets OR add the dry ice into an ice bag and crush it using an ice crushing mallet or similar tool. ALWAYS wear gloves when handling dry ice.
You can add a little to the bottom of your cocktail glass to give it that spooky, smoky effect when you pour the drink, and maybe add another touch of powdered dry ice after that for a smoky effect that lasts a bit longer. But you should NOT swallow or ingest bits of dry ice. Wait until the dry ice has completely evaporated. This happens fast, and it leaves no residue behind as it evaporates. The powdered dry ice evaporates even faster.
And ALWAYS use gloves when handling dry ice. Never touch it with bare hands. Make sure dry ice is used in a ventilated space. In a part setting, make sure the cocktails are used in an open setting to avoid CO2 build up.
NOTE 3 – If you do not have enough time to make Blackberry Shimmery Liqueur but still want to make some magical cocktails for Halloween – scroll down to the bottom of the post to see a whole list of Magical cocktails made with COLOR CHANGING spirits (Only needs an overnight infusion)
And the dry ice gives it that final spooky touch. This is optional (though highly recommended if you’re going all Halloween on this one), but if you do use dry ice remember to ADD COMPLETELY CRUSHED DRY ICE ONLY. Just crush the dry ice (to a powder) and add a little to the bottom of your cocktail glass to give it that spooky smoky effect when you pour the drink, and maybe add another touch of powdered dry ice after that for a smoky effect that lasts just a little bit longer. You don’t want to swallow bits of dry ice though, so the powdered dry ice “melts” much faster.